These teriyaki meatballs are known in our home as “mommy’s meatballs”. The kids ask for them at least once a week, and ALWAYS ask for seconds (if not more). I love them because I have all the ingredients readily at home (including the 1.5lbs multi-packs of ground turkey from Costco).
You can easily substitute the ground turkey with ground beef, or even a mix of the two. 1.5lbs of meat should make 20 golf ball-size meatballs. They also freeze well in their sauce (though we rarely have leftovers). I love this handy meatball scoop maker from Amazon. It shortens the time it takes to scoop up the meatballs and make sure they are consistent in size.
If you’re in a rush and happen to have a batch of ready-made meatballs (I love Aidells Teriyaki & Pineapple Chicken Meatballs from Costco), you can mix up the sauce and throw the readymade meatballs (even frozen) into the instant pot, follow the exact same pressure-cooking directions and have a super quick no-fuss dinner!
The recipe calls for arrowroot powder to thicken the sauce. Arrowroot is a healthier substitution for cornstarch. It is gluten-free, contains more fiber and calcium than cornstarch, and doesn’t include the chemicals used to make cornstarch.
These meatballs are great on their own as an appetizer or served as a meal over a bed of rice, stir-fried veggies, udon noodles, or (in our case) – rainbow peanut noodles. My favorite rainbow peanut noodle recipe is from Gimme Some Oven
What do you plan on pairing with the meatballs? I’d love to read your suggestions!
Instant Pot Teriyaki Meatballs
- Instant Pot
- 2 Tbsp cooking oil
- 1.5 Lbs Ground Turkey
- 1 Egg
- 2 tsp Fresh Grated Ginger
- 1 tsp Soy Sauce
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup Breadcrumbs
- 1 Cup Water
- 1/4 Cup Soy Sauce
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1+ Tbsp Arrowroot
- In a large bowl, combine the ground turkey, egg, ginger, soy sauce, minced garlic, and breadcrumbs. form the mixture into golf ball-sized balls.
- Turn the Instant Pot on Saute, let the oil heat up (it happens quickly) and add gently place the meatballs in pot. You should be able to fit about 9-10 meatballs at a time. Brown them for 2 minutes and gently flip them over to brown the other side. Repeat until all meatballs are done (it's ok to have a few pink spots, but you do want them to be mostly cooked)
- Keep the Instant Pot on Saute, and pour in half the water. Using a wooden spoon, scrape the bottom of the pot.
- In a bowl, mix the rest of the water, soy sauce, sugar, honey, garlic powder, and ginger. Pour into the pot and mix. Turn off the Instant Pot.
- Add the meatballs, and close the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing and set the pressure cooking time to 5 minutes. When the cooking is done, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes.
- Carefully open the lid, and remove the meatballs. Turn the Instant Pot back on Saute and mix in the arrowroot. Continue whisking while it cooks for about 5 minutes, until the sauce reaches the consistancy you like.
- Serve with toothpicks as an appetizer, or on a bed of rice, noodles of stir-fried veggies (or salad) for a full meal.